If you knew you could change it quickly and easily would you be ready for that kind of change?
Every week I lead a group of people who practice Neuro-Linguistic Programming techniques. Last week we were using Jamie Smart’s Salad Cards. It’s a card game of crazy eights that helps you practice language patterns. It is a scream. We were having so much fun laughing. It was hard to tell we were learning at the same time. I highly recommend using these cards to get really good at using these NLP patterns. The deck of cards focused on helping people clear limiting beliefs that keep them stuck. So we each had come up with a limiting belief to use during the game. My limiting belief was that, I feel that taking time off is a waste of time. I was so sick of that limiting belief by the end of the night that I told everyone that I planned to clear that belief this week. Right after I said that two people in the group said “let me know if it works.” At that moment I realized that I have been using many NLP techniques to clear my limiting for quite a while now. It’s never a question of if it well work but whether or not I am ready to let that limiting belief go. There are many really good NLP techniques for letting go of your limiting beliefs but I will give you a simple one to practice here.
It’s called the Dickens Technique.
1. Identify you limiting belief
2. Get a clear sense and statement of your limiting belief.
3. Imagine going out into the future stubbornly holding on to it.
Notice how your life is unfolding 6 months, 1 year, 3 years, 5 years out into the future.
4. When you are clear about the negative experience this old belief has on your life, clear that false future. Let it vanish into thin air.
5. Now create a real future that is completely free of that old limiting belief. Notice how you are as you imagine yourself 6 months, 1 year, 3 years, 5 years into the future. Notice what you are doing, saying, and experiencing now.
6. In this new future become aware of what you believe now.
7. Bring that new empowering belief back and anchor it in using voice, physical movements and images. Notice your emotions now that you have this new belief.
This always gives me a sense of freedom. And I always feel good. Try this on for yourself and let me know your results.